Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Hunger Games

I absolutely loved reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I found it difficult to put down and ended up reading it within two days. Collins made it so easy for the reader to relate to Katniss and her struggles and accomplishments. I too, have a younger sibling so I found that I believed in every decision Katniss was making throughout the book. I also think that it was wonderful that her, and partially Peeta,  stayed true to themselves and their beliefs throughout the trials of the games. Katniss was still kind-hearted and truly believed in people. The love story between Katniss and Peeta also added to the intensity of the book. As a teenager, many times a person will have deep feelings for another and never voices them, or, in Peeta's case, voices them and isn't taken seriously. Listen to this song quickly before I go on:
OK, so I'm sure many of you have heard this song before, but after reading this book I couldn't help but somewhat think of Peeta and his feelings towards Katniss. Even though she didn't fully buy the fact that he was in love with her, Peeta was still there for Katniss through everything and looked after her when she needed it. Without his comfort it seemed she would have never made it through the games.
All of these books that we've read in this class so far seem to have a common theme of a person or people rebelling against a higher power or supreme. I think its interesting to see how Katniss showed her disrespect toward the capitol by decorating Rue. Much like how Winston wrote in a diary knowing it was breaking the ministries rules.
I am SO glad we read this book  for this class. It has definitely  become one of my favorites and I can't wait to start the next in the trilogy ( as nerdy as that sounds :P)

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the book was so hard to put down!! It kept me wanting more and I definitely believe that I am going to try to read the rest of the series.
    "All of these books that we've read in this class so far seem to have a common theme of a person or people rebelling against a higher power or supreme." When Katniss decorated Rue, I was kind of surprised. I knew that she cared for her but I did not think that she would be willing enough to go against the Capitol in decorating her. The book really kept you thinking and wondering what was going to happen next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "As a teenager, many times a person will have deep feelings for another and never voices them, or, in Peeta's case, voices them and isn't taken seriously."
    The concept was is so true. I thought it was neat how Collins kind of underplayed the role of Gale throughout the novel by only portraying Katniss's thoughts on the issue and not really referring to Gale's status at all. The actually intensity of the games helped put the love story to rest in the middle sorta. But then at the end Collins brought it back to our full attention, which I thought was really smart now that I think about it because THAT'S what's gonna draw reader back to keep reading the other books. Your song choice was a good one. Their relationship was unique (having started as a "show"), but I think this song does a really good job of relating! Good call :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never even linked myself to Katniss until you brought up about how she sacrificed herself for her sister, I too have a younger sibling that I would help in a heartbeat. It must have been tough throwing yourself into a scenario with an assured result of death. With Katniss being in the position she is though in the family, she is the head of the household and it fit well that she were to be the one to go into the Games. Although I did not like some aspects of her character, I idolized this action taken by her. I too can not wait to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete