Friday, April 15, 2011

The End: Final Blog

When we started this class I automatically assumed that it would be just another boring Literature class that I would have to suffer through. Thankfully, I couldn't have been more wrong. I feel as though I've taken a lot more than just knowledge about the books we read in class away from this course. The fact that the majority of us had differing opinions, the fact that my generation really doesn't know a lot of what we're supposed to, the narrow mindedness of some individuals that we looked at in connection to the books we were reading, etc.
Reading Culture Jam and Dumbest Generation really opened my eyes and angered me. I won't lie, I felt a little frustrated when we would discuss my 'generation' in class, but I think it was because I was realizing just how much my generation has turned a blind eye to knowledge. I don't want to be known for nothing, and I especially don't want to be known for my stupidity.
Overall though I really enjoyed the books and supplements we were assigned to read. They all, in their own ways, helped show me that there are more things that I need to learn about and more things that I want to prevent from happening. I'll even go as far to say that Hunger Games might be on my favorite books list. The blogging assignments were annoying at first, but now that we're at the end of the course I really feel that they helped me further think about the topics we were discussing in class and really form my own opinions on everything, which is great! It was definitely a change for me and I came to love it.
To wrap things up, I really am happy we discussed the idea of censorship and used the video of the Westboro Baptist Church. That media really solidified my feelings and opinions of anger and frustration. It helped open my eyes to the ups and downs of censorship, which I found pretty interesting.
I am happy to say that I am walking away from this class with more knowledge than I expected. From our discussions and debates I'll be able to better prove my points and connect more books and their themes to bigger issues. If we're all to walk away with anything from this course I hope its the desire to make a change.

4 comments:

  1. "If we're all to walk away with anything from this course I hope its the desire to make a change."

    I couldn't agree more. I think that this class has made a lot of us realize that we need to change some aspect of our lives or lifestyles. We were shown how stupid people think our generation is and how much we truly don't know. There are so many views of our society that we were shown from our generation to that crazy family protesting at funerals. It definitely shows the cultural variation in our country. I agree that we need to make a change in some way to better our society as well as our own generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this class really helped us face the facts about our society and how we are headed towards a doomed world. We are becoming less intelligent and know that we can't change that unless WE do something about it. We have to change our ways and show an interest in education and not just entertainment. I felt this course really helped us all gain a sense of what we may become.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I am happy to say that I am walking away from this class with more knowledge than I expected."

    I have to agree with you entirely here. And the fact that it's useful knowledge, knowledge that I can actually use in real life and pertains to me on a daily basis makes it that much better. I had absolutely no intentions of being able to relate a literature class to real life the way that we did this semester. That said, we're together in the way in which we both admit we were wrong about our thoughts prior to the class. I think this is a good thing though because at least we can admit it, which is probably the first step in your main goal from this class; that being the desire to make a change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I don't want to be known for nothing, and especially don't want to be known for my stupidity."

    I really really like this quote from you, it is how all of us should live our lives. We SHOULD want to make changes and be known as the best person we could be, but it is when we get lazy and lose sight of what is important that we give that right up. I also think this quote reminded me of the girls I see out on the weekend who think its "cute" to be stupid and fall all over, that is what they will be remembered for.

    ReplyDelete