Friday, February 25, 2011

is somebody watching you?

In todays society it is difficult to go somewhere or do anything without someone else knowing. Ever go to a clothing store and while looking at an absolutely fabulous top, glance up and see a camera recording your every move? What about this situation: You meet an old friend for lunch and proceed to tell them about an awesome vacation when suddenly the stop you and say, "Oh I saw your pictures, looks like it was a good time." With today's technology anyone can know anything about someone. Have we lost our entire sense of privacy? The answer to this question can go in many different directions.

Personally, I feel that having security cameras and other things in public places quite acceptable. Say someone were to attack a person in a dark parking garage late at night. Without the security tapes the offender may never be caught. If you have nothing to hide then why worry about it?


When it comes to Facebook, I feel that there are definitely some flaws to the system. If you choose to set your profile to private, it should stay private. The fact that some companies and employers can get onto a social webpage and see what you write is unfair. I read an article  earlier about a woman who posted a facebook status and was fired for it. Is it justifiable? You be the judge.

Word of advice: Keep an eye on what you say or do, you never know who may be watching.

4 comments:

  1. "With today's technology anyone can know anything about someone. Have we lost our entire sense of privacy?"

    I talked a lot about Facebook in my blog too, so I definitely know where you're coming from. It's so ridiculous that you can have your profile set on private and yet, companies and such are still able to access your profile. Similarly, I just thought about another website that's free where you can see people's criminal records. I feel like it kinda brings the two concepts together. It's a way of losing your privacy, again, but at the same time, it's a way of keeping you safe in a way! I just thought it was funny, now that I think about it, how the two concepts come together in a way with that particular website/example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Katie both mentioned how clothing stores have cameras and to myself, I find this in our favor. After working at Claire's and catching shoplifters only by my own eyes I found it very difficult in court to win cases when people denied they had stolen. We did not have cameras and I feel as though if we would have, we could have prevented many shoplifting incidents and could have protected a co-worker of mine that actually got punched when confronting a shoplifter. On the other hand, I hate when someone is standing over my shoulder, and I hate seeing cameras staring in my face.. I guess it is bitter sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scenario you gave about the woman and her friend talking about the vacation and her already seeing the pictures was so typical to everyday life now. It happens everyday I feel, I will talk to someone and start to tell them about something I went to or a conversation I had with someone, and they will already know. It's as if every basis of my life is on display. Will anything ever be "news" to anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Chris. Everyone knows everything all the time. I feel as though when you update on Facebook, people get that information on their "feeds" (ha) so of course when you bring up the subject of your post, they will already know what you are talking about...but again, that is YOUR choice of what to post.

    If people today know that employers will be looking at Facebook and researching them online, wouldn't you think they would possibly change things? On Facebook they wouldn't post inappropriate pictures, statuses, etc. But why then do they still post things if they know that jobs look at them?

    I feel as though it's kind of hypocritical. I can guarantee that some employers party just as much as their job candidate but will say that the candidates are not responsible enough for the job yet they do the same things. Makes me mad sometimes I guess... but I'm a college kid, not a millionaire.

    ReplyDelete