Friday, February 11, 2011

No technology?...seriously?

After reading the articles that were presented to our class this week I have finally realized just how tied to technology I really am. The idea of going just one short week without my ipod or cell phone made me uneasy. Doing the challenge would be eye opening, I admit, but there is no point it me lying to myself about whether or not I would be capable of succeeding in doing it. I feel as though many people my age would be going through the same emotions. We've out grown our baby blankets, and instead, now look to our cell phones as comfort items. 


Even so, I found this quote from Thoreau quite memorable:


"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life...."

While the majority of what Thoreau said made sense, this quote seemed to hit home for me. I recently have come to the conclusion that I am not living my life to the fullest and have started to over look the small details that make life important. Maybe if I were to try to get back to what really mattered, like nature and the simple things, I would be getting more out of life. Its just a thought.


4 comments:

  1. "...i am NOT living my life to the fullest and have started to over look the small details that make life important."

    I think that we all have this dilemma at one point or another. Because technology is what we have been brought up with, it is so hard to get rid of it. I feel like we do miss the small things in life sometimes. We are too busy with everything else that we do that we don't notice the interesting things of life and nature. I do think that in today's society it is hard to actually live life to the fullest. We can't do everything we really want to do. Life is too short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read one of the sentences wrong in your blog but doing so kind of gave me an epiphany of what I should begin to do with my life. I want to stop letting every little detail of every issue and conflict in my life get to me. I'll die younger if I do so. So much pressure and uneasiness builds inside me and I feel sometimes as if I will explode. I want to just let all the problems and unimportant woes in my life to just disappear. I want to focus only on what and who matters most. Like you said in your last sentence, "Life is too short"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Continuing with the whole "life is too short" theme, I think we all wish and dream of living life that way (one day at a time, appreciating life for, well, what it is), but it's definitely easier said than done. Looking back at the whole idea of "plentitude" from Culture Jam, we are always looking for what the NEXT exciting thing will be that sometimes it's easy to look past what we have right now and appreciate it. For example, we're all college students, but let's admit it, the majority of us can't wait to be done with school and all the work that entails. So much, in fact, that we may not embrace the experience for what it is because we are so eager to graduate and start making money. I liked your post though, Kiran. Even if "what really matters" is something as simple as your family, it's important to keep in touch with the little things, the simple things, the things that make "living" possible in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that looking at the little things could potentially make you less stressed out and make you open your eyes to what is going on AROUND and not just to the things only in your life. I definitely am guilty of overlooking small details because I rush and do not pay attention. A few times I even overlooked instructions on tests that said "do not answer number 4" and I answer number 4. From nature to even small sentences, I agree I need to stop "skimming" over life and pay attention.

    ReplyDelete